summary: (from wikipedia)
– intel technology
– duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources.
– 1 “physical” processor appears as 2 processors
– 1 is real core (physical core), the other is secondary core (logical core)
– legacy operating systems “see” 2 processors
– “As the performance boost figure of only up to 30% indicates, Hyper-Threading is not the same as doubling the number of cores on a processor.”
– good for heavy lifting, 3D graphics, algorithm multi thread, multi media, etc.